Saturday 28 April 2012

Turkish Haircut in Canakkale & Troy


Today I had a turkish haircut from a man that did not speak a word of English.  We managed to agree that it was a haircut I was after a few minutes of miming and gesturing chop on my hair. 

After a bit of pointing and nodding at photos in the magazine he found he appeared to understand what I was after.  Not a bad haircut considering I couldn't ask for anything .  After the chop he offered to trim the beard which I replied “no 2?” a nod. 

He then reached for a cotton bud dipped it in some sort of alcohol with tweezers then lit it on fire.. At this point I peaked out a bit!  He was saying ok, ok!  Apparently it was a turkish method of burning off ear hair.  He waved the flaming bud around my ear patting (I’m assuming as it caught fire).  

Finally, I had to dip my head forward into the sink where he gave my hair a wash.  Suds and everything in my eyes and mouth, workable but not ideal.. then done. One last thing he doused me in some weird brut cologne, and really layered it on.  No photos of the haircut - or actually the other stuff after the haircut, I had no idea it would be that weird.

That afternoon we caught a shuttle bus out to the ruins of Troy.  The wooden horse was cool. The remains of the ancient city were nothing to rave about, although the history of the city was very interesting.  Having seen the movie "Troy" with Brad Pitt and Eric Bana also inspired interest; as neither of us have much knowledge of the history of the city itself.

Katherine up in the Trojan horse peering out the window at Troy

Old stone walls

Troy's old walls


What else are marble columns for?

The Kats at Troy

The Trojan horse used in the Troy movie on the Canakkale waterfront

No comments:

Post a Comment